My name is Piotr Nowicki and I'm the founder of PragmaLog. Having studied Medicine at the Medical University in Gdansk in Poland, I complemented my education with a degree in Medical Informatics at the University of Applied Science in Berlin. Additionally, in 2006, I received my Certificate in Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacovigilance at LSHTM in London.
It was always my keen interest to combine medicine and informatics in meaningful and pragmatic way.
Following this idea I began to work as programmer developing coding modules for Hospital Information Systems. After 2 years of extensive medical software engineering I decided to work in the pharmaceutical industry.
I started to gain my experience in Data Management departments (Phases I to IV) where I faced the problems when dealing with collection, analysis, reporting and presentation of large amounts of data.
In the Phase I Data Management Unit I was responsible for :
- Business process analysis
- User requirements gathering and analysis
- Development of implementation and validation strategy for the Phase I Data Management System
In the Clinical Data Management Departments (Phases II - IV) as Clinical Data Manager , my responsibilities included:
- Supervision of Data Management projects
- Supervision of contract negotiations with CROs
- Management of outsourced Data Management processes
- Set up of quality control procedures
- Set up of coding environments and performance of medical coding (MedDRA, Harts, WHODD, ATC)
- Performance of medical reviews
After 3 years of work I moved to Pharmacovigilance department where I realized the roles of Project Manager and Information Retrieval Specialist.
As Project Manager my main task was the implementation of in integrated system for automatic Ongoing Safety Monitoring and Safety Signal Detection.
My responsibilities included:
- Workout of the system concept
- Creation of the project plan including statement of work, resource assignment, responsibility matrix, communication plan, project schedule, cost estimates, risk analysis,control procedures, continuous improvement process etc.
- Set up of the project team
- Collection of business requirements and process analysis
- Supervision of contract negotiations
- Management of the computerized system validation procedures
- Organization of training and support procedures
- Writing of SOPs and Working Procedures
- Delivery of training
In the role of Information Retrieval Specialist my responsibilities included :
- Generation of specialized Product Ongoing Safety Monitoring Reports
- Implementation and usage of Quantitative Signal Detection algorithms
- Preparation of Product Group specific Safety Data Analysis Plans
- Training of medical Product Experts in cumulative data analysis and interpretation of Quantitative Signals
- Close collaboration with Product Experts for assessment of appropriate product's safety profile
After successful completion of the project in the drug safety department (2007) I decided to work as independent consultant providing my services in the area of Pharmacovigilance. The main scope remains the introduction and improvement of signal detection and safety monitoring systems, preparation of systems for internal and external audits, implementation of signal detection algorithms and procedures, assessment and interpretation of quantitative 'signals' and explorative data analysis.
|Dates||Degree attained or qualification||Educational institute or facility|
|1999-2002||Medical Computer Scientist||Technische Fachhochschule Berlin - University of Applied Sciences (Germany)|
|1992-1998||Medical Doctor (M.D.)||Medical University of Gdansk (Poland)|
|2006||Certification in Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacovigilance||The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine|
|Dates||Employer||Business operating area / Functions|
|Oct 2007 - Present||Self-employed||Pharmacovigilance, Signal Detection, Explorative Data Analysis, Project Management, IT Systems|
|Jan 2005 - Sep 2007||Bayer Schering Pharma||Project Manager for the introduction of integrated drug safety monitoring and signal detection system. Pharmacovigilance Information Retrieval Specialist|
|Mar 2003 - Jan 2005||Schering AG||Clinical Data Manager (Phases II - IV)|
|Nov 2001 - Feb 2003||Schering AG||Clinical Data Manager(Phase I),MedDRA Medical Coding Expert, Support of the introduction of a Phase I Data Management System|
|Jul 1999 - Nov 2001||Gesellschaft fur Medizinische Datenverarbeitung||Medical Software Engineering, Development of Coding Modules for Hospital Information Systems|